Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Dad 158: Mariano Rivera, a Class Act

(I'm still hoping the weathervane will "fix" itself. Otherwise, I hope Derf will "let it go" and just admire it as a roof ornament! Really! Enjoy Dad's post! -- Tracy)

Derf Here! From the HOT Northeast. A couple of years ago we did not even put our air conditioners in the house. Well, we did put them in this year and it is a good thing we did. They are running daily from early A.M. until bedtime. Then it becomes fan time. Beach season is definitely here. Hope the visitors enjoy their visit. I really do! Honest!

Baseball season for Josh is over after a 2-0 defeat. Now the activity is about the upcoming football season. We are ready. We'll be there.

Thoroughly enjoyed the All-Star game last night. The highlights of the evening were the introductions and getting a chance to see Mariano Rivera pitch to three batters in the eighth inning. (I am not a Yankees fan but certainly am a fan of Rivera; sorry to see him retire this year.) It was a moment to remember as Mariano entered the game to a standing ovation from all in attendance. Even the players on both squads were very gracious in their applause. Glad he won the game MVP award. Good luck, Mariano, except when facing the BoSox. (We will be watching the Red Sox as they continue to tear up the American League throughout the remainder of the season.)

Sister Jean remains in serious condition in an Indianapolis hospital. A scheduled operation is no longer possible. Hopefully a plan to handle the situation will be developed in the next couple weeks. Please continue your prayers for her as she struggles through this illness. Thanks!

It is that time of the year again. I sit here looking out at my weathervane. This weathervane worked well for 20+ years. The last three years it has worked well for about a year. Then it sticks in one direction. In the past two years -- on my birthday(!) -- I've been on the roof to loosen it up. I can see this happening again soon, perhaps on my birthday this week. It must be done and I will get it done. Can't figure out why it doesn't spin freely as it did for the first 20 years. Maybe this will be the year. Good for another 20? I hope so! Please! My climbing days are catching up with me. I'm not getting any younger. Really!

Enough for now!

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: