Monday, June 23, 2014

The World Cup

I have watched a total of about 20 minutes of the World Cup.  It was the last 20 minutes of the USA vs. Portugal game yesterday.

The Red Sox game had just ended (they won in extra innings), so Lew and I decided to check out the soccer game.  Neither one of us are big soccer fans, but we felt we should have some knowledge of what's going on -- especially since there's so much talk about the World Cup.

The score was tied, 1-1, when we started watching.  When the USA scored a goal to make it 2-1, I was very excited.  With a win, the USA would secure a spot in the next round!  Woo-hoo!

Well....

There is this thing in soccer called "stoppage time", which I find very confusing.  When is the game really going to end?  Do the players even know?

My "woo-hoo"  became a "boo-hoo" as Portugal tied the game in the final seconds of stoppage time.

And that's how the game ended.  In a tie.

My nerves were shot.

I think 20 minutes of the World Cup may have been enough for me!

But still....  Go, USA!

No comments: