Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Dad 205: Fifty-Four Years

(I wasn't around 54 years ago today, but I'm here because of it! Enjoy Dad's extra-special post! ~ Tracy)

Derf Here! Another beautiful day in the great Northeast. Over the weekend we had three days that reached 80°. However, since Monday, the temperatures have been a little cooler. More like normal for this time of year.

Last week I mentioned Josh's baseball team finished with a record of 12 wins and three losses. I thought his season was over, but he continued practicing with the varsity. Then at a league playoff game, with his team down 2-1 in the last inning, he was sent up as a pinch-hitter. His debut as a varsity player ended with a fly ball to centerfield. I was happy to see his varsity debut. Zack's lacrosse season ends today. Fun was had by all.

I'll bet most of you don't know what you were doing 54 years ago today. I'm sure some of you were not yet on earth. Well, believe me, I remember where I was 54 years ago today and I also recall all persons that were with me that day.

You see, this date in history was when Spouse and I were married. I recall then-to-be-Spouse had a nervous stomach throughout the morning. I understand it was then that her dad told her it was not too late to change her plans. (I know I told my three daughters it was never too late to back out right up until the trip down the aisle. So Spouse's dad's comments were not uncommon.)

We were married in Port Deposit, Maryland. The minister renamed me by calling me Edwin.

My parents attended the wedding. It was the first and only time that my parents left the New England states, thanks to my cousin Alvah for driving them to the destination. Alvah also served as an usher.

Our flower girl was niece Kathy, who celebrated her 36th anniversary yesterday. (How time flies!)

It was a joyous occasion and was, without question, the best decision of my life.

And here we are 54 years later, together as lumps on the couch, not quite as active as we were then. Looking forward to another 54 years. (Okay, that probably won't happen!)

Nothing else to say.

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

 

No comments: