Friday, March 14, 2014

Too Much E-Mail

I turned on my laptop this morning for the first time since Tuesday night. Sometimes I go an entire weekend without turning it on, but I haven't had a break like this during the week for a long time. It was nice.

When I opened my e-mail program, I watched as 97 e-mail messages downloaded. WHAT? It had been only two days!

Of those 97, I was able to delete 68 without opening them. A lot were Facebook notifications that I see on Facebook anyway. There were several "shopping" and "coupon" e-mails as well.

The e-mails that I opened consisted of Groupon offerings, LivingSocial offerings, blogs that I subscribe to, Amazon.com stuff, an update from my local state representative (which I didn't read), and the weekly informational e-mail from my church.

Not one of the 97 e-mails was a personal e-mail. (Granted, most of my online personal correspondence is now done through Facebook.)

Much of the e-mail that I receive is of my own choosing. But by clicking on the "unsubscribe" option at the bottom of the e-mail, I could eliminate a great deal of stuff that I don't look at anyway.

I am always trying to simplify my life. Less e-mail would help!

No comments: