Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Dad 193: Bands from Eureka to Scarborough

(When dictating Dad's posts, I usually end up getting "Dirt" instead of "Derf." Today I over-pronounced the "f" at the end and got "Darfur." Uh... not quite. At least "Toodle Pip!" now comes out right! Enjoy Dad's post! ~ Tracy)

Derf Here! Another sunny day in the Northeast. Still quite cold, however. Tomorrow spring will arrive. Yes, spring will be here with winter temperatures. I HATE WINTER WEATHER!! Can't wait for summer temps to arrive. Perhaps in July or August. Please!

I am quite excited, however, as Ken's Place opens this Friday for the season. Ken's is our neighboring seafood restaurant that we watch daily throughout the summer. The winter has been awful. The snow is still deep. The opening of Ken's brings us new hope. I'll have some scallops on opening day. Friday is the day. Fresh-baked haddock for Spouse is on the horizon!

Last evening Spouse and I attended a high school band concert. Also attending were Lew, Tracy, Glen and Debbie. Josh had a trumpet solo in one of the pieces. A fine job he did!

As I was looking at last night's program at the band concert, I noticed a name that was familiar to me. It was the name of the Eureka, Illinois high school band director. He had written a piece that was to be played in the concert. Spouse and I have seen many of his band competitions that were performed between 2005 and 2012. These were the years our granddaughters in Eureka attended high school. Mr. Todd Stalter is his name. I was excited to see his piece included in a concert performed in Scarborough, Maine.

I sent off the program to Mr. Stalter this morning. I told him of the many times we had the opportunity to observe the Eureka band competing for state championships at the University of Illinois and Illinois State University. Besides marching with her double-bell euphonium, granddaughter Kaelen was in the drum line. Granddaughter Kelsey, after marching with her saxophone, was a drum major for two years. It was fun recollecting the good times we had watching their performances. I might add they had their share of state championships. The concert was well done. Also enjoyed the memories.

Just heard the weather report. It seems that we will have a storm tonight. Along the coast not so bad. Maybe an inch of snow. Could get up to 6 inches in ski country. Good for late spring skiing. Might last into May. That's it. Sooo....

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: