Tuesday, March 15, 2016

A Girl Who Wears Glasses

I had an appointment with my eye doctor today. It had been almost two years since I last saw her, and I knew that I was going to need a new prescription for my glasses.

My long-distance vision stayed about the same, but the intermediate- and near-distances have both gotten worse.

After some discussion about how much I use the computer and what height I like the monitor, etc., my doctor suggested I get computer glasses. They are different from regular glasses in that I won't be able to use them for driving — they won't correct for long-distances.

She said I will still need to get "regular" glasses at some point.

Lew was with me and we made the decision to go ahead and get both pairs -- computer glasses and what I am now calling "real life" glasses. We picked out frames and the office is supposed to call me tomorrow with the details about what materials are available for the lenses. (Some materials might not be available because of the strength of my prescription.) I will opt for the best-quality material that provides for the thinnest lenses.

And all of the special coatings for anti-glare, etc.... yes, please.

Two pairs of glasses with progressive lenses are going to cost a small fortune. But, based on recent experience, they will be adequate for probably three or four years. The initial cost will make me pass out, but in reality the average cost per day will be reasonable.

Being able to see well? Priceless.

No comments: