Friday, February 19, 2016

Two Out of Three

1/ Lew's and mine: Done!
2/ Matt's and Emily's: Done!
3/ Dad's and Mom's:

Last Saturday I finished two sets of 2015 income tax returns. I have one more set to go, but I'm still waiting for the information (hint, hint).

Here's my approach to tax return preparation:

  • Collect the tax data needed.
  • Put data into an Excel spreadsheet.
  • Using spreadsheet, calculate what I expect the tax liability to be.
  • Put the data into TurboTax.
  • If results differ from what I expect, figure out why.
  • Electronically file the returns.
  • Celebrate!

I love using TurboTax. A lot of the detail carries over from the prior year's file, so it saves a lot of data entry. Plus it's accurate in calculating the tax. When the final result is different from what I expected, I know that I need to do some research. I like to understand what's going on, especially since I have a couple "clients". There's always something to learn.

The word on the street is that I may receive a packet of data this weekend. Once that happens, it won't be long until "Tracy's Tax Return Preparation Service for Select Individuals" will be closed for another season.

(Dad.... you know who you are....)

No comments: