Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Smashing Situation

Several days ago I noticed a little bump on the back of my right hand. The bump moves up and down as I flex my hand. It's kind of creepy.

After I demonstrated the bump and its movement to Lew, he went where all responsible people go to get a medical diagnosis: Google.

Lew's web search identified my condition as a ganglion cyst -- cause unknown and nothing to worry about. It should go away over time.

We had a good laugh when he read about the old remedy of smashing the cyst with a heavy book. Hence its nickname of Bible cyst.

(Postscript: By the way, some doctor friends at church confirmed Lew's diagnosis. So did my friend that works at a mortgage company.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gordon smashed one with a book on his hand. I remember him being in a lot of pain when he smashed it. I would not recomment that treatment.
Kathy

Tracy said...

The websites Lew found didn't recommend it either, Kathy!

Ouch.... Poor Gordon....

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and after I smacked it with a book, it didn't go away. I couldn't describe the pain and still be "appropriate".
Gordon

Tracy said...

Thank you for your restraint, Gordon.
This is -- after all -- a family blog.
;o)