Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Plight of the Banana Peel

(There is a good report on Suzy's progress -- see Barry's post titled 13th September -- so I thought I'd do a light-hearted post today.)

I eat a banana just about every morning.  The peel gets tossed into the garbage can.  I have discarded of banana peels in this manner for my entire life.

Every once in a while, the banana peels attract a fruit fly or two.  Never too many.  This has not been a problem until recently....

Because now we have a cat.

Jerry saw a fruit fly a few days ago, and he now thinks the fruit fly has taken up permanent residence near the kitchen garbage can.  He has knocked the can over at least three times over the past couple days while searching for the fruit fly.

My remedy has consisted of two "fixes":
1)  I turned the garbage can around so that it is harder for Jerry to knock it over.  Of course, it is also harder for us to throw things into it.  But one must make sacrifices.
2)  I now throw my banana peel into a brown paper lunch bag.  I then use this same bag to clean out Jerry's pooperia (a.k.a. litter box).  The bag then goes directly into the garbage bin that is kept outside.

So far, so good....

Jerry is keeping us safe from the fruit fly.

No comments: