Saturday, August 12, 2017

Lew's Logbook: Lost Pole

(For the fish-name-challenged, "stripers" are a type of bass... I think. Enjoy Lew's post!  ~  Tracy)

My brother wanted me to take him to the tidal river by my house to do some fishing. Stripers run up into the river and, if you hit it right, you can catch a few. I checked the tides and told him what day and time to come.

The day before the event, I got my gear out and rigged up a couple of poles. We wanted to bait fish so I went to the local tackle shop and bought some clam worms ($6.50 doz – ouch).

So he comes to the house and we go down to the river. I let him use my best saltwater pole and I used a lighter rig just for kicks.

We had been fishing for about 15 minutes when my brother started to move from one place on the rocks to another. Suddenly, he said “oops” and my saltwater rod and reel went into the river.

Grrrrrr!!!!

We went home.

The tide chart said that low tide was going to be around 3:30 so I went down to the garage, put together a rope and grappling tool and waited. What could save the day was the fact that we were fishing with orange floats on our lines. When I got to the river I could see the float and I knew there was hope. After a few tries I snagged the line on the pole and was able to bring it in.

I had some success fishing that day but not the kind I expected.

The saved fishing pole.

No comments: