Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Reading

I'm not sure how many of my blog readers pay attention to my Reading List links (see right-hand side of page). I keep updating the Reading List because it gives me a sense of how well I'm getting through my piles of books. By "piles" I mean both physical books and electronic books.

I recently read an article suggesting the best way to get through a lot of books is to be reading several different types at the same time. For example, a heavy-duty non-fiction book for when you can concentrate and a cozy mystery for late-night reading. (I certainly can't read a "heavy-duty" book at the end of the day!) This article didn't change my reading habits, because I already do this.

I am currently reading five books: a novel, a memoir, a book of essays, a theology book, and a book on the history of codes and ciphers. These books are in addition to my daily Bible reading and devotionals.

I will not finish all five of these books at the same time, of course. Novels tend to go quickly, as do memoirs. Theology books take a little longer. The book of essays is when I want to fit it in. The codes/ciphers book may take me years (not really, but it is quite long and "heavy-duty").

When I finish the novel, I'll find another one to begin reading. Same for the memoir, the theology book, and so on.

My encouragement to you for 2020: Read some books! 
📚🔖📖🔖📕🔖📘🔖📙🔖📗🔖📖🔖📚

No comments: