Sunday, September 30, 2018

Lew's Logbook: New Hearing Aids

(Welcome to a special Sunday edition of "Lew's Logbook." Enjoy! ~ Tracy)

Hearing aid saga update:

Tracy and I went to Togus last Thursday to pick up my hearing aids. The audiologist could not have been nicer or more helpful.

There is a little bit to know regarding the care and maintenance of these devices, but the VA supplies all of the replacement items needed, free of charge. After that explanation there was a tune up process which adjusts the aids to the way I hear. Our brain plays a much larger role in the hearing process than I realized.

The devices that I picked are Bluetooth compatible…”there’s an app for that.” I can adjust levels and pick settings from my phone. I can even stream music but I doubt that I will ever do that.

Also, they are rechargeable. At night I just drop them in a tray and they recharge overnight. A charge lasts for about 16 hours. I wore them for 14 hours yesterday and there was still about 40% left on the charge.

Now, how am I hearing? Very well! I’m hearing things that I have not heard in a very long time: birds chirping, rain hitting the windshield of my car, keys jingling, squeaky floors, and Tracy when she talks to me from another room. ðŸ˜‰

The audiologist tells me that it may take as long as six months to totally adjust, but after only three days I’m very impressed with my new level of hearing. Feeling blessed. To all of Tracy’s blog readers (who pay taxes), I thank you.

No comments: