Saturday, September 8, 2018

Lew's Logbook: Hearing Aids On the Way

(Lew writes today. I'm so happy about his good news! ~ Tracy)

Bad news, good news.

The bad news happened about 18 months ago when I was rejected by the VA health system. The reason for the rejection was not clearly stated but it seemed to be about our financials. This did not make sense to me because everything that I had heard about the system told me that Viet Nam combat vets were automatically qualified.

The reason I wanted to enroll was to get hearing aids. I was told that once enrolled I could go through a process which could result in receiving hearing aids paid for by the VA, a $6,000 - $7,000 value.

Good news. Long story short, my son runs into an American Legion officer, and tells him that I was having trouble enrolling. This gentleman knows a guy who deals with VA claims and calls him and that started the ball rolling. There was a review of my original application and it was discovered that I should never have been rejected. I received a call and several apologies for the error. 

I told the person from the health office that my hearing is bad and I was hoping to get hearing aids through the VA. Once they confirmed I was a combat veteran they set me up with the audiology department in Togus, Maine’s VA Hospital.

Tracy and I went to my appointment last Thursday. My hearing was tested and hearing aids were ordered…just like that. I never filled out another document or had to see any other medical professional. It seems that they were trying to make up for their error and cut all the red tape.  

Admittedly I was discouraged at first, but it seems that my bad news turned into very good news that was slightly delayed. My son says it was God who led him to meet the Legion officer that day. I’m very glad that he thinks that. I think so, too.

No comments: