Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Dad 196: The 1941 Pontiac

(I will say it again: I think the loveliest time of the year is the Spring! Enjoy Dad's post. ~ Tracy)

Derf Here! Another great spring day in the Northeast. Methinks spring has arrived. However, we still have some snow on the ground. Here on the coast it is almost gone but inland there is still snow several feet deep. Some ski areas are still open and will be probably until May. Others have closed even though there is still snow covering the hills. The sun shines bright! Hooray!

I should be out sweeping off my lawn and sidewalk where the snow was plowed this winter. But I sit here writing today's blog post. I think I'll start my sweeping tomorrow. Everything is always easier to do tomorrow. Still have to get my power broom down from its perch. I may do that today. Or, maybe tomorrow.

I really have enjoyed watching the college basketball championship games the last two nights. Congratulations to the University of Connecticut for winning both the men's and women's championships. Only the second time a school has won both in the same year. The other time was 2004 and the school was U-Conn! Job well done.

I've watched a lot of Red Sox baseball and hope they put a string of wins together soon. I'm sure they will.

The other day while watching a court show on television (probably Judge Judy), I was reminded of a story about my dad and a car he owned. The court case was based on a person purchasing a car and selling it a couple years later. The judge did not believe that the car was sold for more than the original purchase price.

Well, back to my dad. I recall my dad owning a 1941 Pontiac. I remember the car. It was in the family for about 7 to 9 years. Then Dad sold the car. The story goes something like this: Dad sold the car for a profit of $200 after running it for all those years. I have no reason to doubt my dad's story. He was, as we all know, a real yankee trader. This was only one of his real-life deals.

I recall one Sunday as we were driving home we had a crash in the car. We were almost home on Elm Street in Springvale when around the curve came a car using the middle of the road. Well, Dad turned towards the ditch and we were hit in the front driver's-side fender. The other driver was attending to his girlfriend passenger and was not too aware of where he was driving. He was a service man home from duty for a brief stay. Not a serious crash and all was well. The year was about 1945.

Strange how the court case brought back this memory. Enough for now, so....

Until next time!

Toodle Pip!

Derf!

No comments: