Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Dad 700: On Top of a Snowbank

(Dad writes today. A milestone post! Enjoy! ~ Tracy)
 
Derf Here! Another beautiful summer-looking day from inside. However, a step outside will tell you it is not summer. Temperature in the 20s.
 
If you notice the number at the top of this post, you will see 700. That 700 is the number of times I have put in writing a report of our life over the past few years. Seven hundred blog posts! When I started this I didn't plan on this large a number. Perhaps one of the 700 has been something worth reading. Perhaps not.
 
Last week I promised to tell you about getting a truck stuck on the top of a snowbank. I was in my late teens and we had a Studebaker pickup. It was the middle of winter and the snowbanks were quite high on the roads. We (my sister Deb and I) were on our way to our grandparents' house in the Shaw's Ridge area of Sanford, and I spotted a place where the windblown snow had collected into a big pile on the side. I wanted to try driving through the windblown snow. So we headed through the pile of snow beside a snowbank. The windblown snow responded by sending the pickup truck to the top of the snowbank. To say Deb was not happy is not a strong enough statement. How do I get the truck back on the road?
 
Well, I had to walk about a half mile to our grandparents' home. Then I got on our red 1948 Farmall H tractor, pulled the switch and started it up. I went back to the stuck truck and pulled it back on the road. I don't remember much else about our trip, but I do remember Deb was not happy. The rest of the day went all right. No more trying to ram through a snowbank. A learning experience that kept me on the road and not on top of snowbanks forever. Well learned.
 
I still don't recall why we were going to our grandparents' home!
 
Until next time!
 
Toodle Pip!
 
Derf!

No comments: