Saturday, July 14, 2018

Lew's Logbook: Hooked Up

(Lew writes today. "Ouch!"  ~  Tracy)

We have a phrase in our modern culture that we use in a variety of ways. Getting “ hooked up” usually refers to some kind of romantic get-together. But it is also used to offer some assistance, such as hooking someone up with your mechanic or a job prospect.

The last two weeks it has had a different meaning for me. 

A friend, who is an avid fisherman, managed to hook himself up while fly fishing. He tried to get the hook out himself but only succeeded in driving it deeper into his finger (see picture below). Medical assistance was needed.

This past Thursday I was fishing with another friend of mine, and he landed a very nice large-mouth bass. I saw the fish and turned away to tend to my own tackle. Then I heard him say “uh oh.”  The fish had done a hard flip at the wrong time and my friend had the hook buried deep into the palm of his hand. The hook has a barb so it cannot just be pulled out without taking a chuck of flesh with it.  Medical assistance was needed.

I may need to start my own version of the TV series “Deadliest Catch.”



No comments: