Friday, June 17, 2016

My Sci-Fi Adventure

Despite my best efforts at tightening connections, reviewing settings, replacing cords, and laying on of hands, my work computer monitors have been flickering intermittently. It's mostly the left one, but there have been times when they both will "go dark" and then come back on. (One time after this happened, I lost my task bar!)

Our IT vendor wanted me to run a series of tests that are done over the Internet. So while I ate my lunch yesterday, I watched my monitors do all sorts of crazy things. At one point I felt like I was watching a spaceship battle! Here's a still shot:


After the test was finished, I got the results: "No issues found." I did not find this helpful, because there were definitely problems.

So my IT guy called the computer manufacturer (the name of which rhymes with the opposite of Heaven). After getting off the phone with them, he e-mailed me that a technician would come to my office and replace the motherboard in what is my very-new computer.

My initial thought was, "Will the mothership be bringing it?" (I had spaceships on my mind for some reason.)

Today a human (?) named Ryan came and replaced the motherboard. As he was leaving I asked if he was returning to the mothership.

He laughed....

I guess I'll never know.

(By the way, I had no monitor problems after Ryan left, so hopefully the problem is solved. And Ryan is definitely human, but speculating otherwise makes for a better story!)

No comments: