Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Four O'Clock in the Morning

I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning. I woke up at 4:00AM and could not get back to sleep right away. So I was more tired than usual when it was time to "rise and shine".

At 4:00AM I was listening to all of the traffic going by our house. I usually don't notice the cars because of the noise our fan makes. But we slept without the fan on last night. Everything sounded different.

While I was listening, I wondered where all of the cars were going. An early shift at work? The airport? A head start on a long automobile trip?

One vehicle I know I didn't hear at 4:00AM was the mail truck. The mailbox flag was still up this morning. I had two more items to mail, and I decided to trust that the system would work today. I added the pieces to what was already in there from yesterday.

My trust was not misplaced. Our mail got delivered! We are one excited household.

Postscript: Dad called the postal service to ask about yesterday. Apparently our regular carrier was ill and the substitute didn't have a chance to complete the route... "nor illness" is not in the motto!

No comments: